Do you miss the French onion dip of your childhood? This version fills the bill, and it’s delicious not only as a dip, but also on potatoes and wraps.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon salt-free vegetable broth, plus more as needed
1 cup cashews, soaked (keep the water) 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
2 tablespoons chives, chopped
Your favorite vegetables sliced into bite-sized pieces
1. In a large skillet add in the vegetable broth and then the thin slices of onion. Sauté on medium low. The vegetable broth will burn off, so keep adding more as needed until your onions are caramelized. Set aside.
2. In a blender, add in the cashews, about 3⁄4 cup of the cashew-soaking water, and the garlic and onion powders. Blend until smooth.
3. In a bowl, add in the blended cashew mixture, the caramelized onions, and the chives. Mix. Season to taste.
4. Serve with your favorite vegetables.
5. You can refrigerate the dip and keep for one week in a glass container with a tight lid.