I created this recipe in an Iron Chef competition at TrueNorth Health Center. The secret ingredients we had to use were mango, cashews, and oats. I had only 20 minutes, and I won!
2 cups gluten-free oats (or 1 cup raw cashews and 1 cup oats)
2 cups packed, pitted dates (about 12 ounces)
4 tablespoons lime juice and zest
1. In a food processor fitted with the “S” blade, process the oats into a flour-like consistency. Add the dates and process until a ball forms. Add the lime juice and zest. If it is too wet to press into a tart pan, add a few more oats until the proper consistency is reached.
2. Press into a pan with a removable bottom.
2 pounds frozen mango, defrosted
2 ounces unsweetened dried mango soaked in a small amount of water until soft
2 cups raw cashews
4 tablespoons fresh lime juice (plus zest; optional)
2 pounds fresh raspberries
1. In a high-powered blender, blend all ingredients except for the raspberries until very smooth.
2. Pour into crust. Place the raspberries over the top to cover completely. Sprinkle with unsweetened coconut.
3. Place in refrigerator until filling sets up.
Chef AJ has been devoted to a plant-based diet for almost 40 years, and is proud to say that her IQ is higher than her cholesterol. She is the host of the television series Healthy Living with Chef AJ, which airs on Foody TV, and also hosts a weekly podcast of the same name. As a comedienne as well as a chef, she has made appearances on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, and The Late Show with David Letterman. She is the author of the popular books The Secrets to Ultimate Weight Loss: A Revolutionary Approach to Conquer Cravings, Overcome Food Addiction and Lose Weight Without Going Hungry, and Unprocessed, the co-producer of Healthy Taste of L.A., and the creator of the Ultimate Weight Loss Program, which has helped hundreds of people achieve the health and body they deserve. Chef AJ was also the executive pastry chef at Santé Restaurant in Los Angeles, where she was famous for her sugar-, oil-, salt- and gluten-free desserts, which used the fruit, the whole fruit, and nothing but the whole fruit. Chef AJ holds a certificate in Plant-Based Nutrition from eCornell University and is a member of the American College of Lifestyle Medicine.