Sweetened with dates, these oil-free muffins can be enjoyed as a snack or as part of a healthful breakfast. Try topping with a nut butter or tahini for more sustained energy. Experiment with different types of plant-based milks and replace the dates with other dried fruits such as apricots or figs. Stuck with a lot of overripe bananas? Consider making a double batch, freezing, and reheating when a snack attack occurs!
Makes 12 muffins.
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds or chia seeds
3 tablespoons water
1 cup mashed ripe banana
½ cup dates, pitted and diced
½ cup plant-based milk
¼ cup applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1½ cups whole-grain flour or gluten-free flour mix
½ cup rolled oats
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place muffin papers in a muffin tray. Place the flax seeds in a small bowl with the water. Allow to sit for 5 minutes or more as you prepare the rest of the recipe. Mix well.
- Place the remaining wet ingredients in another bowl and mix well. Place the dry ingredients in another bowl and mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients, including the flax seed mixture, to the dry ingredients and mix. Do not overmix.
- Using a ¼‐cup measure or scoop for each muffin, pour the batter into the muffin tray.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack. Serve warm.
Try adding ¼ cup dried coconut or chopped nuts, such as walnuts or pecans, to the dry ingredients.
Chef Mark Reinfeld, a pioneer in the plant-based culinary world with over two decades of experience, is the driving force behind the Vegan Fusion Institute. An accomplished chef, educator, and advocate, he’s penned eight acclaimed books, including Vegan Fusion World Cuisine, celebrated as the Best Vegetarian Cookbook in the USA, with a foreword by Dr. Jane Goodall,. Mark’s culinary journey began with The Blossoming Lotus Restaurant, honored as Best Restaurant on Kaua’i.
Chef Mark offers virtual and in-person culinary trainings internationally, including his signature 4-Week Vegan Cooking Immersion. He also currently serves as Executive Chef for the North American Vegetarian Society’s Summerfest. As a trailblazer, he’s been inducted into the Vegan Hall of Fame and earned the prestigious Platinum Carrot Award. His consulting services benefit major names like Google, Whole Foods, and The Humane Society, promoting the art of plant-based cuisine for health, the environment, and a more peaceful world. Learn more at www.chefmarkreinfeld.com