Recipe courtesy Amaya Green
These delectable brownies are a guilt-free treat that’s naturally sweetened with bananas and dates. They pack quite a protein punch in the black beans and feature the wholesome goodness of oats and almond flour. No refined sugars, just pure, fruity sweetness! With a hint of cinnamon and nutmeg, these brownies are a delightful twist on a classic favorite. Whip them up easily and enjoy a healthier indulgence that satisfies your sweet tooth!
¼ cup water
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds or chia seeds
1 15-ounce can no-salt-added black beans, drained and rinsed well (or 1½ cups cooked)
1 cup soy, oat, or almond milk
½ cup mashed banana
¾ cup pitted and chopped Medjool dates, tightly packed
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup rolled oats, divided
½ cup almond flour or whole-grain flour of choice
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Place the water in a small bowl. Add the ground flax seeds and mix well. Allow to sit until a gel forms, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place the black beans in a food processor with the soy milk, banana, dates, and cocoa powder, and process until pureed. Transfer to a bowl.
- Place ½ cup of the oats in a powerful blender and blend until oats are well ground into flour. Transfer to the black bean mixture.
- Add the remaining ½ cup of oats, almond flour, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and mix well.
- Add the soaked flax seeds, and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a parchment-paper-lined 8”by 8” baking dish and bake for 45 minutes. Allow to cool before slicing.
If you have oat flour on hand, you can use ½ cup of oat flour instead of blending ½ cup of the rolled oats to create the flour.
Chef Mark Reinfeld, a pioneer in the plant-based culinary world with over two decades of experience, is the driving force behind the Vegan Fusion Institute. An accomplished chef, educator, and advocate, he’s penned eight acclaimed books, including Vegan Fusion World Cuisine, celebrated as the Best Vegetarian Cookbook in the USA, with a foreword by Dr. Jane Goodall,. Mark’s culinary journey began with The Blossoming Lotus Restaurant, honored as Best Restaurant on Kaua’i.
Chef Mark offers virtual and in-person culinary trainings internationally, including his signature 4-Week Vegan Cooking Immersion. He also currently serves as Executive Chef for the North American Vegetarian Society’s Summerfest. As a trailblazer, he’s been inducted into the Vegan Hall of Fame and earned the prestigious Platinum Carrot Award. His consulting services benefit major names like Google, Whole Foods, and The Humane Society, promoting the art of plant-based cuisine for health, the environment, and a more peaceful world. Learn more at www.chefmarkreinfeld.com