Makes 10-15 large cookies
Nutrient-rich, fruit-sweetened cookies with a little nut-free nutty flair are worth living for!
1 15-ounce can chickpeas
1 large banana, bright yellow – no ripe spots
2½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
⅔ cup raisins
10 large Medjool dates, pitted
¾ cup applesauce, unsweetened
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon (Saigon cinnamon preferred)
½ teaspoon vanilla bean powder
⅛ teaspoon allspice
1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas and place onto one of the parchment-lined pans. Remove the peel from the banana and place it onto the other pan. Place both pans into the oven on the top shelf. Roast for 18 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Reduce oven heat to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the rolled oats, raisins, and roasted chickpeas. Give a quick stir through and set aside.
- In a blender, add the roasted banana, applesauce, dates, spices, and flaxseed meal. Blend until smooth.
- Add the date mixture to the bowl with the raisins, oats, and chickpeas and mix well. Scoop out ¼–⅓ cup of the cookie dough onto a parchment- or silicone-lined cookie sheet and shape as desired.
- Be sure the oven temp has come down to 350°F, then bake the cookies for 15 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool about 10 minutes, then transfer the cookies to a cooling rack and allow to cool at least 30 minutes more. Enjoy!
Chef’s Note: Cookies will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5-7 days.
Faith Scott, along with her husband, Will, and their three children, love to share their passion for living a healthy, whole-food, plant-based lifestyle on their website & blog, Get2dRootHealthandWellness.com, on their YouTube channel, and on Facebook and Instagram. Faith transitioned to a plant-based lifestyle in 2015 in an effort to lose weight. Within the first few weeks of trying plant-based recipes, her family was enjoying the food and asking for repeat meals; that was when she realized healthy living is a family affair! For the past six years, her entire family has reaped the priceless benefits of good health, energy, and vibrancy from living a plant-exclusive lifestyle. The Scott family’s message is simple, “Our health is our wealth. Let’s ‘Get2dRoot’ of obtaining and sustaining good health by eating more plants.”